Thursday, May 10, 2007

Doodle Analysis

Tonight in a meeting I was complimented on the intricacy of my doodling. Apparently the scale and complexity was impressive.

So I decided to analyse it. This is a picture of some of my doodle:


According to the BBC H2G2 I am a quiet individual who doesn't like to stand out in a crowd. This is because I start drawing at the edge of the page (it just expands to cover the whole page).

It also says that very detailed doodles are often drawn by people who have an obsessive nature, and who simply will not let go of their ambitions or loved ones. They are also likely to be jottings of highly introverted people.

However, according to this site the geometric shapes indicate an organised and efficient mind, possible even with a sense of direction and purpose. Now this sounds more like it. All the squares apparently represent the formal, mathematical, scientific order of the universe. I'm not sure what that actually says about me though.

So I'm quiet, introverted, efficient, organised and obsessive. Oh Good. That doesn't sound like me at all.

:-s

1 comment:

PH said...

According to H2G2:

I am a quiet individual (I doodle in the corners and margins of a page). HA!

I think I start from the right and work left, so I'm based on logic.

I'm also very intricate so I'm obsessive.

I'm also known to include zigzags: "This repeated pattern may signal a need for comfort, or a need to regress to childhood in order to escape from the harsh everyday reality."

I don't really do geometric shapes. Actually I don't doodle as much as I used to. Because I draw silly cartoons instead now. And I'm more outgoing, which according to this means I have less need to doodle to maintain a creative output.

Going to page two from that link, there's a whole index of different meanings.

I doodle on the top right:

"The Top of the Page: Doodling along the top of the page is usually the domain of an energetic, free-thinking, spiritual person. If occupying the zone of a page usually reserved for headings, they might not be expecting to have anything worthwhile to write, so have taken over that space, or perhaps feel that their ideas are more important than those currently under discussion."

"The Right Side of the Page: People rarely doodle down the right side of the page, which is usually reserved for the purpose of writing. Taking up this space with a doodle might suggest a strong need to communicate inner feelings."

So I doodle in order to express inner feelings that I think are more important than anyone else's.

I also do repeated patterns that change and grow organically across the page:

"Repeated Lines and Patterns: Repetition is a common feature of doodles that suggests a methodical, patient approach to tasks. Repetition also increases the significance of a particular motif.

"Extensive Space-Filling: Large, complex doodles that have grown almost organically across the page suggest a persistent nature, a love of design and a desire to express ideas. These doodles can sometimes indicate frustrated artistic ability, especially if ornate forms are embedded within them."


So I'm patient, persistent and perhaps a little frustrated.

But one thing still bothers me...

What do woofing dogs mean?