Sunday, April 01, 2007

London

I’ve spent the weekend in London. It was exactly what I needed as I’m now back on full bounce.

Things started as they meant to go on Friday afternoon. Alice and I were due to meet at Paddington Station at 16:30. Now one of those things about Alice is that she has no sense of direction, mostly gets lost and is generally late. So I was a little worried when I got a text telling me that she thought she was going to be on time. If she got into town before I did then I’d never live it down.

Now, as you do when you’re going to be spending the whole weekend with someone it is normal to text continuously for the hour before you meet up. After all, you need something to talk about. Alice had decided that her train was supersonic and my timings were getting worse when I managed to get on a stopping train that was delayed. It stopped in all sorts of exciting places that I’d never heard of. I started to get worried that there were two Paddington stations and that I was going to the wrong one. Where was I going to end up?

I’ve never been happier to pull into Slough Station. At least I know where it is.

At about this point I got a text from Alice.


We're stuck behind a train in slough. Why anyone stops here is beyond me. ho hum. nap time, my old age is kicking in.

Alice’s supersonic train was stuck behind my painfully slow train. I was very much amused (which I might just have made clear to Alice, and the rest of the carriage). She was not so amused, but at least it meant that the laws of nature were not broken and that I was at the meeting point before Alice.

Only problem was that I was late too, thereby losing the moral high ground. You win some you lose some.


The rest of the weekend was great - went to see the Barenaked ladies with Alice and Seb on Friday (their last album was rubbish, but they still do a very good live show) followed by a drink to catch up with Seb. Very jealous that he gets to have occasional helicopter rides for work. Maybe there is something in this accountancy thing.

Saturday involved the Tate Britain. I’ve not been there since I was doing Art GCSE and it’s smaller than I remember. We spent ages wandering round and proved beyond doubt that Alice and I should not go to art galleries together. Things I liked were generally a little more abstract than her taste which seemed to involve pretty pictures.

And apparently the Victorians found this gallery incomprehensible. I’m with them on this one although I struggled with that whole gallery. look - Another painting where the sun has obscured everything else on the canvas. How innovative.

Some interesting exhibitions coming up though, so will probably go back to have more of a play. I can do cultured.

No comments: