Monday, January 08, 2007

USB gadgets

For Christmas (or was it for birthday ?) my brother gave me a USB powered heated coaster. The idea is that you plug it into your PC and it heats up. Any mug you place on it is therefore kept warm and you never have that horrible mouthful of cold coffee.

Great so far.

It may be a little gadgety – but hey, I’m an engineer. I’m not as gadget orientated as say, the electrical or mechanical guys, but they’re still fun.

It’s currently on my desk next to my USB powered fan, my mobile phone holder, my helicopter shaped pencil sharpener (when you press the tail the rotors spin round - and all supporting the Air Ambulance!)

Now the only problem with the USB powered coaster is that it doesn’t actually keep my coffee warm. A significant oversight. Apparently it only works if you have a steel mug. Now, the only time I would consider using a steel mug would be when camping. And, despite appearances, I don’t actually live in the office.

So I’m trying to work out how to set up the heating element of the coaster with the USB fan so that I have a sort of portable heater.

Problem is that since we ‘engineered’ the fan blades for grater efficiency (post it notes attached to each blade to provide a greater surface area) it now tends to fly across the desk when you switch it on unless you’ve selotaped it down first.

The trials of work. I don’t know how I cope...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grater efficiency? I am not sure your H&S people would pass that!
Mum

Anonymous said...

This post exemplifies "what engineers do when they grow up". Or not grow up. Or something..