Friday, January 26, 2007

Networks

Whether I like it or not I am part of a generation of people who communicate electronically. The online network is another way of creating a social network and learning more about friends through seeing what they say about each other.

I’ve never really worked out why I blog – I think it’s mostly down to the fact that I find it fascinating to people watch on the net by reading other people’s blogs. It’s a fun way of gauging what other people’s opinions are and using that as a jumping off point to research and inform my own.

However, reading and writing blogs is one thing but being part of a social networking site is another. Until about 2 weeks ago.

I’d been holding out against it – After all I don’t need to be a member of these things to see friends’ sites. But turns out that that wasn’t enough, if I wanted to comment I needed to be registered. So I’m now on myspace and facebook.

In the process I’ve discovered a new idea of what heaven is like – all my friends, from across the world, networking in the same place. One log on. One name. One God.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - that's a bit heavy. But very cool!

Anonymous said...

And you have a link to my blog :-)
The more I re-read this entry the more I think you've been really inspired and got it spot on. The internet and blogging and stuff gives you a different experience of friendship with people and an opportunity to spend time with people you otherwise wouldn't be able to. Does anyone get what I'm trying to express here or am I just disappearing into a metaphorical black hole of a metaphor?

AL said...

You're on myspace too?

*proceeds to hunt mary down on myspace*

tee hee hee

Mary said...

LOL!

Myspace may turn out to be a mistake. If I want to keep my job that is...

Anonymous said...

Explain?

Mary said...

It's addictive, I keep playing and visiting different bands' sites.

Anonymous said...

Nothing serious then...