Friday, February 16, 2007

Work.

I really like being an engineer. I'm currently really enjoying it. Sometimes I even know what I’m doing. However, not as often as other people think I do.

And why am I enjoying my work at the moment? – I can’t help but think that it might just have something to do with the fact that I prayed about it. This happens every time, and yet I still somehow manage to completely forget to pray.

The sign that I’ve uploaded is one that always amuses me. It can be found on the edge of all deep water tanks. I’d love to know how it ended up with such random terminology – that must have been a brilliant meeting. I’m glad I wasn’t there.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It used to be classed as dangerous but that might be too scary, so now it's just a 'warning'? And how many people around water tanks know what 'negative bouyancy' means - I'm not sure I do!

Anonymous said...

Can you even have negative bouyancy? Isn't that just sinking, which is zero or no bouyancy? What the smeg is negative bouyancy?

Mary said...

Apparently bouyancy is actually the term for an upward force, acting against an object within fluid.

Therefore, negative buoyancy is when an object sinks (goes downwards), and neutral bouyancy is floating statically somewhere within the body of water (not necessarily at the top), so I suppose positive bouyancy is when something moves upwards within fluid such as floating up from the bottom of a tank to the top.

This all fails to explain why they used the term on the sign in question.

Isn't that nice - we've learnt something today. :-D

PH said...

What has negative buoyancy though? A person? A tree? A house?

Presumably a person. In water a person has neutral buoyancy, I believe.

Though it would help if they spelt buoyancy correctly...[/teacher]